Part of a service produced for the Nawab of the Carnatic, Azam Jah (r.1819-1825), between 1820-1823. It has a pink border with gilt scrolls and embossed white flower groups. The centre has the title of the Nawab of the Carnatic ‘Amir al-Hind Nawab ‘Azam Jah Bahadur’ in Arabic script surrounded by a circlet of polychrome flowers and foliage.
At the time of the production of this service, the Carnatic, a region in South India, was ruled by Azam Jah in name only, as the East India Company had annexed the area. The presence of the English in the region may have increased the desire for English porcelain.
|Material||Soft paste porcelain|
|Provenance/Accession||Presented by Earl Beauchamp 1952|